We are looking to expand our team with one or more senior full-stack Ruby on Rails developers in Victoria, BC. We’re a remote-friendly organization and would be open to fully remote or a mixed schedule of in-office and remote work.
Animikii is a Victoria-based social enterprise (Certified B Corp / Certified Aboriginal Business) that works with leading, Indigenous-focused organizations from all industries to drive positive change for Indigenous Peoples through technology. Learn more at ANIMIKII.COM/ABOUT/CAREERS
- Independently take new software products and features from concept to shipping. This includes end-to-end development from the database all the way to the browser.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Help maintain code quality & organization by developing automated tests and following existing conventions.
- Participate in our agile development process, including regular client interactions.
- Support, maintain & upgrade existing software projects.
- Write technical documentation.
- Contribute to company-wide technical decisions and guidelines.
- Mentor junior developers and provide material feedback on the work of other developers.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Interested in implementing and leading through Animikii’s core values: Humility, Truth, Honesty, Wisdom, Respect, Courage and Love?
- Educated with a Degree in computer science, software engineering or have equivalent work experience?
- Experienced in a client service or agency environment (5+ years)?
- Interested in working in a remote-friendly environment using online tools to connect and manage work?
- Proficient with server-based web technologies and concepts like MVC, ORM, APIs, networking, databases, scalability, devops, tooling, etc. using Ruby on Rails?
- Experienced in using Git-based workflows in a team environment?
- A relationship-builder who is comfortable collaborating and communicating with clients, staff and partners?
- Knowledgeable of software management principles, processes and software, including agile and scrum methodologies?
- A collaborator who wants to work in a dynamic, growing organization?
- A motivated self-starter who thrives on being part of multiple projects at once?
- Someone who has a record of successfully contributing to the design of software products and their features?
- A multitasker who can rapidly refocus on different aspects of software design?
- Excited by the idea of wearing many hats and jumping in to help on tasks, even if it’s outside of their core skill set or job description?
- Someone who has shown they are interested in working with Indigenous communities?
- Interested in supporting our giving-back program through pro-bono time, volunteering, workshop delivery or other social impact initiatives that are important to the team?
- A continuous learner striving to keep ahead of evolving technologies through professional development?
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Animikii is diversity in tech in action and we value a diverse workforce. Indigenous people, people of color, women, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQQIA2S+ community are strongly encouraged to apply. Animikii believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re looking for candidates who can expand our team culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process. If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process or you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more accessible, please let us know.
How to Apply
Animikii’s headquarters are in Victoria however we’re a remote-friendly organization and would be open to fully remote or a mixed schedule of in-office and remote work. Start date is negotiable. Competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.
Please apply using the button at the top right, with your resume and cover letter communicating your desire to join our team. In your application, please address the following topics in the order described below:
- Describe two things that attracted you to this job opportunity at Animikii?
- Why do you want to work at an Indigenous-focused organization like ours?
- Which of our values are most important to you in the workplace (Humility, Truth, Honesty, Wisdom, Respect, Courage and Love)?
- What experiences have you had that have prepared you most for this role?
- Operating as a social enterprise, giving back is a core foundation at Animikii. How would you use technology, innovation, your energy and company resources to give back to the community?
Self-identifying as Indigenous, having first-hand knowledge or experience working with an Indigenous community will be considered an asset.
Applications are only open individuals that live and work in Canada at this time.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.